Thursday, January 8, 2015

Depth of Field and Bokeh

Today's class is on Depth of Field and Bokeh.
 
Depth of Field can either be shallow (where there is one focal point up close and the rest of the photo blends into the background), or deep where the foreground and background are equally in focus.
 
Bokeh is the Japanese word for "blur" or "haze".  So this is where you intentionally blur a portion of your photo.
 
Here are some examples that I submitted today.
 
 
Depth of Field - Copenhagen.  The purple flowers are intended to be the focal point.  I could probably do some post processing on the background to blur it a bit more as well.
 
 
In this butterfly picture I manually added the Bokeh effect by using a free application called PicMonkey.com.  See the blurry circles of light in the background?  That is the bokeh effect.
 
 
This one I have posted before.   It is an example of Depth of Field from one of the first photography classes I took.
 
 
Another Depth of Field example.  But not as good, as there aren't any interesting things in the background.
 
 

1 comments:

Kate said...

This is a nice tutorial on Depth of Field and Bokeh. I have not heard of Bokeh before and I love the example you posted. Well done! This photgo class is excellent. I am so glad you have gone back to learn more.

http://www.freerice.com

http://www.freerice.com