Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Lent



So...I know I am not Catholic, but I think the tradition of giving up a vice for Lent is a pretty cool thing. I decided today that I would give up swearing, and then within an hour of that I had said about 3 swear words. So I scrapped that idea and decided to give up something that is truly a problem for me. And that is my fruit punch flavored Welch's Fruit Snacks addiction. I am serious like a heart attack about this too. I calculated the other day that my fruit snacks addiction may have surpassed my Diet Coke addiction in terms of money spent per week. Disgraceful I tell you. So you heard it here first...for the next 40 days I will refrain from purchasing (even if they are on sale) or eating Welch's Fruit Snacks.

On a more serious note...I read this about Lent on Wikipedia today.


"There are traditionally forty days in Lent which are marked by fasting, both from foods and festivities, and by other acts of penance. The three traditional practices to be taken up with renewed vigour during Lent are prayer (justice towards God), fasting (justice towards self), and almsgiving (justice towards neighbour). Today, some people give up a vice of theirs, add something that will bring them closer to God, and often give the time or money spent doing that to charitable purposes or organizations.[9]"

I didn't actually know about the other two acts of penance - prayer and almsgiving. But it sounds so nice to me that I think I will incorporate all three into my life for the next 40 days.

How about you?

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh, I love Welch's Fruit Snacks too. I bought some for Delaney and she didn't like them and I ended up eating the whole box myself. Now I just buy them for myself sometimes.

Melissa said...

Oh, and I tried to give up fast food for lent and already failed. Delaney and I went to Taco Bell yesterday. :(

Princess Heather said...

I am glad to know I am not the only one the enjoys the Welch's fruit snacks. They are so tasty!

http://www.freerice.com

http://www.freerice.com